Our Short History of Uckfield
Uckfield is a small and pleasant town on the river Uck. It is situated in the Wealden District of East Sussex in South East England.
This lovely little town has a long history. In the late thirteenth century Uckfield was famous stopping point on pilgrimage between Canterbury, Chichester and Lewes. Local famous place was called Pudding Cake Lane where travellers were visiting the public house for slices of famous delicious pudding cakes.
The oldest still standing house in Uckfield is the 15th century Bridge Cottage which has been recently restored to its former glory using a one million pound grant from Heritage Lottery Fund.
Uckfield is popular vibrant family friendly town which the populations been constantly growing. The population of Uckfield in 1811 was only 916, in 2011 it was 14,493 and the most recent information is talking about 15,000. Most of the local people are very proud to be residents of Uckfield and calling themselves “Uckfieldiens”.
There are five primary schools in Uckfield which are considered to be very good; Harlands Primary School, Holy Cross CE Primary School, Rocks Park Primary School, St Philips Catholic Primary School and Manor Primary School. There is one secondary school in the town which is UCTC (Uckfield Community Technology College).
Uckfield is well connected to London Bridge station by Southern Rail Service. This line used to continue to Lewes but in 1969 was closed and Uckfield became the terminus. The Wealden Line Campaign is hoping that this line will be reopen one day. There are also talks about improving the London connection.
Uckfield also has its modern history. It was the last place Lord Lucan was seen. John Bingham, 7th Earl of Lucan was a British peer who was suspected of murder of the family’s nanny and disappeared back in 1974. His disappearance was surrounded in myth and mystery.
This little Sussex Village is also home to well known soul singer and writer Rag’n’Bone Man who recently won The Brits Critics’ choice award (2017).
Uckfield also has its own cinema called “The Picturehouse” which was establish in 1916 and it is one of the oldest cinemas in England
Uckfield removal quote
Or call us on: 01825 840340